Building Blocks - Typography

For the first typeface design we experimented with insulation tapes, which allows us to draw out straight, well finished lines or shapes in a very short time. My favorite one is the blocky one which only consists of triangle and rectangles, and all the letters would have a square 'frame'.

then we had the opportunity to learn using the Adobe Illustrator to recreate our typeface, this allows our typefaces to be easily reproduced, and we can manipulate them more easily, also because illustrator work in vectors, we can then enlarge out type images as large as we want them to be. This is definitely a very useful skill to have.

I named this typeface 'Blocky', as they are all carved from a blocky square, I used consistent shapes within the typeface design, which only involves long lines, short lines and triangles. This allows the typefaces to look neat, and keeping the same style.

My second type design got the inspiration from the rubber bands I brought with me, it has interesting properties; elastic, stretchable, soft, changeable and easy to return to its original shape and form.

I started off by tying them and place them in order to make the alphabet, then I realised it is too hard to handle and keep in shape, so I pinned them onto notice boards with pins to hold them. however I think pinning them on walls will lose their playfulness,  so I started to around them around my fingers to form the alphabets.

I experimented with illustrator to make some hand silhouettes, but they take a long time to draw carefully and the final outcomes doesnt look as well as i expected, so I kept using line drawings for my final alphabet outcome.

For the final outcome of this project, I have decided to take 'blocky' further, because I think it is a more adaptable typeface that could have more use in the future. I like how I first created it using insulation tape, which is a physical object, and by digitising them in illustrator, the typeface has been edited and improved. 

So I am now considering make it physical again, first because I was reading books about typography and those ones that have been put into the format of a product really attracts me, also because I think by making them physical, we can get a better image and expectation of how it would look as if we are using it for other purposes.

 

I finally decided to make them into stamps. because they are constructed by simple shapes, so the making wouldn't be so difficult, also I have some left over lino sheet from previous project and would like to practice my lino cut skills a bit more.

All parts of the stamp set are hand made (except the stamp pad), including cutting and sanding the wood, making the box and the tray for the stamps.

Comments

Add comment

Fields marked by '*' are required.
Comments are moderated. If you choose to make this comment public, it will not be visible to others until it is approved by the owner.
Help for "License"
The license for this content.

Help for "Licensor"
The original licensor for this content.
Help for "Original URL"
The original URL for this content.

Reply to:

Public
Private: This reply will only be visible to you and the author of the preceeding comment.