The greatest threat to Canada's Boreal is industrial development and its effects, such as climate change. Although much of the forest is still relatively intact, industrial activities like logging, mining, and oil and gas development continue to eat away at our remaining wilderness areas.
Industrial activities impact the Boreal Forest by:
- damaging wildlife habitat
- fragmenting forests and wetlands with roads, seismic lines and other disturbances
- increasing human access into remote regions
- changing water and nutrient cycles
- contaminating wilderness areas with toxic chemicals
© Lauren Holly Best, all rights reserved