Today i started to assemble my installation within the gallery space. The initial approach to this set up is extremely daunting, as i wanted everything to go right straight away in order for me to finish it before Monday so that i could dedicate this day to making my portfolio sheets and evaluation. However, it actually took a lot more through process and manipulation than originally anticipated. As i added more and more pieces to the structure, it became evident to me that i would need MORE TIGHTS.
I realised that i had in a way wasted some of the pieces that i had made, as i used them to dump and pile up from the base, and this could have actually been bulked out by another material which i then could have dressed up with the chains to disguise it. This would have meant lots of the chains would not have been wasted in the foundation of the installation, and i could have used these for other components on the wall. However, this may have altered the concept of the piece. Although the appearance would still be the same, with the same "dumping" effect, me knowing that the quantity was not actually there due to it only being falsified to appear like it was there, may have meant the message would be lost?
My aim was to create a piece that replicated mass waste, which was both dumped, as well as growing up the wall, acting like an infestation to the gallery space. If the actual mass wasn't really there, then i feel that this would have taken away from the story that i am trying to portray. However, due to time constraints, the better solution would have probably been to falsify the appearance of the mass. This is something that i have learnt and will now take into account in my future exhibitions.
Notes that i had to consider and take on board when making my piece:
- Is it too "planned" or too "organised"? It was difficult to get a full perspective of what i was adding to the structure, as i was always way too close to the wall to see the overall effect and appearance that it had. This meant i was constantly having to step back, and look at it from a new angle further back in the room, to see if it looked right. I am aiming to achieve something that looks organic and erratic, and my tutors said that my initial approach looked too structured, and therefore took away from the organic effect. This meant that i had to add random pieces, consisting of all different sizes and shapes, to bulk out the piece to have a "growth" like appearance.
- Does it take on a good appearance from all angles of the room? In order to see if my work would look good from all perspectives, i was constantly taking photographs from all different angles. Due to the piece being so abstract and erratic, it was extremely difficult what to know looked "right", as i had to organise pieces in an unorganised fashion, in order to resemble something that looked natural and organic. This meant i was constantly having to ask people around me for their advice as to if something looked right in certain sections, or if something did not look right. This was extremely useful, as it all started to turn into a bit of a blur to me, and so i was unable to have an opinion of as to what looked good whenever i added or took away something. At this point, i had to abandon the piece, and reattempt to finalise it on Friday.
© Sophie Leah Nathan-King, all rights reserved