Text Block (207)

Doing the self-initiated project and writing the proposal has been very challenging to me, as I have never experienced before. On the other hand, I also really appreciated this opportunity to work creatively and independently. Comparing with usual, writing my own brief has gave me more freedom and has got me more interested in what I intended to do. At the beginning, I was a bit struggled with writing the proposal because I did not fully absorb the theme that I decided for myself. After I attended the workshop for proposal and learnt how to follow the diagram and fill in each context as a guide. I then have realized how important it is to know ‘why am I doing this’ and ‘what am I aiming for’ in order to get fully engaged with the project.

My decision on the theme was based on my personal experience of being a coke zero user, which has made the whole project much more familiar to me. When I was writing the proposal, I have set this project to be ‘based on questioning how brands market low calorie products and low calorie aspirations, also exploring with re-imagining the associated meanings with the term zero which is imprinted in the mind of society and used by advertisers.’

My final outcome is a distorting mirror cut out in a number 0 shape which has communicate the idea that people should stop distorting their body image and relying on coke zero. The mirror was made of reflective perspex with 3mm thickness in order to be bended as a distorting mirror.

Different from other projects that we have done before, this time we were asked to present the project by making a publication in InDesign. However, as a graphic student, InDesign was not something that is totally new to me. Instead, planning out the pages, considering what to put in to sum up the whole project were the real difficulties.

Due to some personal reasons, I had a really slow start at the beginning. Thus later as I moving onto the project, I have been trying to follow the initial timetable as much as possible. To ensure that we were all making progress every week, my group tutor has also set up task for us to experiment with more possibilities, which I have found it very helpful.

Throughout the project, I have been keen on updating the reflective journal to help record and analyze. My attitude to reflective journal has also changed from not bothering to really using it as a useful tool.

To sum up the whole project, I think the main difficulty for me was not thinking conceptually enough because of the lack of deep research. However, the outcome was not as bad as what I thought, which has successfully passed the message that I intended to say. Besides I am glad that I have also challenged myself to really break through the thinking from two-dimensional to three-dimensional, not only experimenting with the computer software.

Last but not the least, I think I have to say that I really enjoyed this project but if I could start over the project again, I will be doing more primary research rather than just relying on the internet, and maybe doing more sketches as the research.

Becky Yau has not chosen a license for this content.