12.03.2017

Working on a color combinations and right shade choices. I organized my yesterdays yarn research and I'm really satisfied with the fact that I found shades that were exactly the ones I needed.
 
I also dyed the very thick wool I bought yesterday. I wanted to incorporate it as a wool for nalbinding, because it is more effective with thick yarns. I tried it with dylon colors and I was searching for right shades of it to match my color scheme. I tried it with Navy Blue, China Blue, Burlesque Red and Forest Green. The usual measurements of salt, water and dye were half smaller (because I was only dying the samples so smaller pieces). Temperature remained around 80celcius degrees. I tried each color with a different time measuring to get the right shade.
 
I'm really satisfied with the effect of China Blue in 5 and 10 minutes. It is exactly the color I have chosen from my color scheme and it reminds me of polluted sky or dust clouds. The effect of Navy Blue was good too, but it was so intense that the timing didn't change anything, it was always same dark which is fine because that still matches the shades I have chosen. Burlesque Red worked well only after 30-45 minutes. I want to try the shade slightly brighter as well, because I have chosen a yarn in more of poppy red shade too. The green did not work at all. It gave a horrible, faded mint shade that doesn't match my choice of bright lime green at all. I need to do the dyeing once again with those two colors. I won't choose all kinds of colored wool of this thickness though because I don't want to get tangled up with colors. One of main elements of my project is to have a vibrant color scheme but I can't overload it because it will look messy. I need to consider well where each color in the shilouettes goes and how it all looks together. 
 
Third week of Unit 7 - Evaluation of this stage of the project: 
 
What went well? 
I have developed some shades of colors that match my color scheme really correctly and I'm satisfied with it because it is a successful fulfillment of one of the main elements of design process that I have learned on Foundation- right colors in design make the piece complete. I got some help from my tutor on Thursday and I know how to control the knitting machine and how to manipulate stitches to create a pattern I want. I know how to translate it into a graph paper and how to count the rows. I know how to develop proportions of my color choices. It all was incredibly helpful because now once I have a defined and certain color palette I can use all of that again and develop more samples in a more thoughtful and effective way. It was certainly one of the most fruitful weeks so far because I have a clue how to edit my work successfully.
 
What didn't go well? 
The tasks we were given to do on Monday were a bit confusing for me. It's not because I didn't understand them but it's because I was on a slightly different way of going on the body and those tasks seemed too misplaced for me. Obviously I was incorporating these ideas into the draping and then into my samples but I don't think that those ideas look good in any way. It is so because it seems to me very random and not giving the message I want to show - the idea of sustainability and tension between craft and machinery. I haven't chosen my samples ideas yet, I know which ones I want to develop more on the body - knitted samples with holes and nalbinding and probably the ones wwith sprang will stay as a collection (I have to be realistic for the time management). I still want to develop the print too, so that would change the samples as well. Hopefully I will do this over this week, or at least do the experiment with print.
 
How can I move on from now?
Dye more wool to find right colors and then choose some to dye rest of the wool. Develop more samples and put them on the body - do draping again. Develop the idea of print and printing the air. Do some more research on it - perhaps using the drawings of my shape sculpture would work for that but with combination of drawings of the broken fax (that I would need to do). This would allow me not to abandon the tasks from Monday completely but to involve them in my process in a different way. Breaking the fax was mostly driven by the idea of getting some shape references and ideas for preparing collage papers. However when I look at this now I see it from a different perspective- breaking the fax is a way of constructing the tension between machines and man. If I use it for print development I will reuse the old, discarded material (fax) to create new, just as my grandfather reused old to make new. If the print would be then printed onto a knitted piece, unraveled and reknitted again, then the effect would look like painted air. Also by making everything by hand and focusing on crafts the machinery based print would "paint the air" of a product made by "culture of hands that think". It's a way of fulfilling Bonottos utopian dream within a sustainable future for fashion.

Julia Magdalena Labis has not chosen a license for this content.