Tutorial for Project Proposal - working on description of the project and bibliography.
Archway workshops - I learned how to cast off properly with a tapestry needle. Handout is uploaded below.
I was experimenting with ways of casting on to create bigger ladders that would make a fringe like effect and make the sample opened for air and dynamic. I got some help from the technician and I found out that when I cast on only ten out of 25 needles a huge ladder is created in between. This really looks dynamic though I do not think I will keep using it in this form, because the sample would be too weak to make a shape out of it. I also tried to experiment with holding but it was unraveling when I moved two needles forward instead of one. I think it was because the loops that were put on hold and the ones that were holding got overlapped, which resulted in one huge ladder. That was not my intention, so I will keep diving the holded area with a part of plain knit, in case anything goes wrong again. All of that to find a right approach to fringes. So far it looks too tribal. Probably because of the colour too, it is all just way too heavy.
Drawing my pattern on a graph paper, so that I will know exactly what I did and I won't forget the stitches. My tutor told me to do that on Thursday and I think it was a really good suggestion, because it makes the pattern much clearer.
I also tried to do the holding stitch that my tutor draw for me on Thursday, but I couldn't make it. I asked the technician to help me but it turned out to be too complicated, so I stayed with the experiments with casting on the samples.
Developing more considered color scheme. I did exactly what my tutor suggested me to do- I picked one image from my research, which is a photo of a factory in glowing and mesmerizing colors. I have chosen 5 areas where the colors are particularly appealing. I started to develop colors that match those areas best by using watercolors (it's easiest way to do that I think). However, I have chosen more than five colors from each at the beginning,because I was looking for a right shade of each color. I didn't finish it yet, because it takes quite a long time to find all right tones.
Evaluation of this stage of the project:
What went well?
I managed my time really well, because despite the amount of things I had to do, which were not connected to the university, I had the time to go to the tutorial and be at Archway for quite long, so I actually produced something. I started to develop my color palette which is what my tutor told me to do as well.
What did not go well?
I did not managed to develop entire color palette today. I have to finish tomorrow.
How can I move on from now?
I need to finish color palette and do yarn research. Then I will need to use the same technique of developing color proportions that my tutor showed me last time. Then I have to do samples. My tutor told me to do draping after I have all samples ready. But I'm afraid it might be quite late. On the other hand, it is quite impossible to really realize how the textile will behave on the body without having it. I could try doing some draping with old jumpers to get any sense of how it is going to work. Also I think of including back the elements of machinery to the shilouettes. Not as a literal piece of metal though, but rather as a shape reference. This would also make a connection to the idea of reusing scrap metal- creating a shilouettes out of those shapes would be a way for it. For sure I will need a knitting machine to make samples. I will have to plan my work well because now I don't have access to any other machine than the one at Archway.
Julia Magdalena Labis has not chosen a license for this content.