08/07/17 Printing & Embossing Day2

We had a full day of printing and embossing today. Umberto gave quick demonstrations then we got started...

PROBLEMS:

1. Remembering to lay the objects in a mirrored layout.

2. Fingerprints on the page

3. Too much/ too little ink

SOLUTIONS:

1. I had to redo a couple of my printed pages because I didn't mirror the entire image successfully.

2. We worked in groups, helping each other out in order to avoid fingerprints and ink smudges- one person (with clean hands) was there to place the paper and objects onto the press.

3. I wanted my shapes to be pretty opaque so the finished images were fairly bold- especially the black jigsaw piece. The best way to do this was to re-ink objects before each press, it took a bit longer but I wanted the opacity to be consistent across the book.

 

My design and visual language was simple but consistent across the book, which I personally prefer, rather than using very different textures/styles on each page. Having said this, some people were really adventurous and used more interesting objects, like pressed flowers, to make some really effective prints. We laid all our outcomes out at the end of the day and it was good to see how different everyone's outcomes were, despite the same restrictions- 2D objects, a 4 frame story, and just red and black ink. Some people had linked the pages together, for example with a continuous line or image. This was something I hadn't thought of which worked really well.

SELF EVALUATION:

I think my narrative would be more coherent if there were more pages to the story, but I think in the context of my project and given the theme of discrimination the narrative is clear. 
I definitely engaged more with the embossing project because the minimalistic outcome and use of typography are more my style. I played around a lot with lettering and I my emphasis on this will probably continue to my final exhibitions. My concept from yesterday- where I removed vowels to make the words more challenging to read developed today and I made four posters with different combinations of letters on to form the phrase "WHY DOES THE WHOLE WORLD SPEAK ENGLISH?" The overall effect is four posters which don't make sense on their own but if you study them side by side you can work out the phrase. This maintains the sense of ambiguity and challenge from yesterday but the complete phrase is more relevant to the concept I think, as opposed to the four separate words I had planned to emboss. I did one poster with the whole phrase on too and I plan to scan this in to further experiment with how this poster could be developed. I kept with my square font because I think its simplicity works well with the white on white embossing. It was a really good day and I enjoyed getting hands on again- it made a change to not even have my laptop with me today and reminded how you can make physical outcomes as quickly, without a computer and it's actually more rewarding. Because it was my first time using both techniques there is obviously room for improvement to make my outcomes neater, and if we had been less rushed then my letters, for example, would have been more precise and equally spaced etc. 

Anna Clare Floyd has not chosen a license for this content.