Independent study day.
Yesterday my tutor suggested me to change the direction in my project as it was too tangled up with references and ideas. To look back at primary research.
In order to overcome this difficulty I went for a tutorial with Study Support tutor which was very helpful. I analyzed the feedback I got yesterday- to look again at the resale shop of my grandfather and think about any new possibilities of approaching it but having in mind parts of my research so far that I want to keep.
I realized that there are two main ideas in my project:
1.air pollutants protection from it
2.sustainable slow fashion as a way of reducing air pollution and redefining the approach to production technologies.
Analysis of both ideas and possibilities they give me:
1. I will have to design a piece that is actually protecting and this doesn't seem interesting to me at all, as I am not a scientist and I do not want to invent any kind of filter now that would prevent from air contamination. I simply do not find it as inspiring in terms of fashion and my own personal relation to it.
2. The idea of slow fashion is much more engaging to me as it focuses on craftsmanship as a way of development for sustainable fashion. Juxtaposing the mass production of Steel Mill and mass pollution with craftsmanship and slow fashion as a way to fight pollution. It links to the resale shop of my grandfather much more than I initially thought - he was fixing machines by hand, reworking them and giving them new look and selling again.
There comes the idea of craftsmanship, nalbinding, sprang and lucet as a way for sustainability in fashion, so modernizing these old approaches or working with old clothes (like old machines) and using these techniques. Treating air pollution as a staring point and going more further away of that. Finding long term solution for the matter of air pollution in sustainability.
Key ideas to focus on now:
- fixing, repairing old machines
- the clothes that were made by hand and reconstructed from old clothes
- craftmanship in modetn fashion
CHANGE OF DIRECTION (Still before submission of project proposal):
REPAIRING AND ALTERATING OLD CLOTHES
FIGHTING AIR POLLUTION IN A LONG TERM USAGE OF MODERNIZED OLD TECHNIQUES
© Julia Labis, all rights reserved