Today was our one day coat hook project. I had previously went to the second hand store next to the CSM campus in Archway and found a box of CD's which I thought had really, really nice colours. I decided to use that as my material, but I did bring along an extra fork, knife, spoon and wine glass just in case something went wrong. We started off the day with a nice little lecture that basically covered everything we were going to do that day. Then we literally just dove into the making part.
I started off by drawing out a few ideas, but I really didn't know what a CD was made out of, or how it would behave when I was cutting it. So I decided to improvise and go to the workshop. There, I asked one of the workshop workers people if I was allowed to use the band saw to cut my CDs. He suggested that we try cutting it by hand to see what it was made out of, because he didn't know either. So we broke one CD in half and I was honestly in awe. A CD is basically two sheets of plastic stuck together, one transparent and one opaque. The transparent one has some kind of ink on it so later when I put UHU glue on it, it turned it pink instead of purple. Anyways the colours were insanely beautiful! It was this kind of blue/purple holographic shinny material. The only problem is that these CD's were quite flimsy so it was hard for me to find a simple design that looked appealing, valorised the CD's qualities but at the same time held up a very heavy winter coat.
After we had all broken up for lunch, I met with Kathleen who told me to throw everything I had done in the morning away and start over. I understand the need for bluntness when time is restricted to I did exactly that. We brainstormed on how to use what I had brought in, and finally chose the old knife for its rustic qualities. I really wanted to keep the blade because of a few reasons. The first being that It was part of the knife and without it, it would just be an old piece of wood. The second was that I liked the aggressive qualities about it. I think that no one in the class did something with such an abrasive material. The last reason, and the most technical one was that it was a very, very strong piece of steel from Japan, which according to the guy from the metal shop, would be very hard to cut. Anyways I took Kathleen's advice and went into the workshops with an hour left. I really, really liked the end product and honestly think it was much better than what I would have obtained with the CDs. I ended up splitting the old wood accidentally when I put in the copper plated rod at the bottom. So I just decided to weather down an old piece of copper and wrap it at the bottom, which I thought looked really cool. The workshop guy and I also figured out how to drill a hole in the steel blade, which looked badass. I also wanted to work with weathered, old copper because it brought out the rustic qualities of the brass already in the knife. I am quite proud of what I accomplished today.
© Eva Jane Gates, all rights reserved