I was most challenged when creating the protective part of the costume, that would rest in front of the wearer's face, just under the eyes. I was not sure how to create a strong-looking shape that would still be somewhat fragile. My initial idea was to create it out of layers of tissue paper however did not find that this worked very well nor seemed strong enough as a protective layer. I then tried with white card and ended up finding a shape I quite liked, but it was difficult to keep it in place, so I tried bending the card in different ways and cutting it in different shapes to see which worked the best. I the end I found that I needed to attach the shape partly to the shoulders in order for it to form the desired curve I wanted. I am actually quite glad with how it turned out and ended the day with the bodice.
© Diane, all rights reserved