Problems with stretch materials
Today when doing my trial on sewing chiffon into a lycra leotard I discovered some of the problems I will have when putting together my costume. Lycra is habitually stretchy whereas chiffon is not and has a tendency fray, I didn't find sewing the two together difficult but it was tricky and fiddly, however using a looser tension and a zig-zag stitch on the sewing machine will mean that i can sew them together with much more ease when constructing the real costume. I think this trial run went well using scraps however I will be much more nervous to sew on the real materials as I don't want any major problems with our limited time to complete this project. I am excited to really get started on the making with my red materials; i really hope that everything goes well and my main concern is the waist where the lycra will meet the chiffon, hopefully it will all go smoothly as this is the first time i have worked with both lycra and chiffon.
© Kelsey Leanne Vickery, all rights reserved