Sculptor in bronze, steel and aluminum. Born 8 March 1924 in London. Studied engineering at Christ's College, Cambridge, and afterwards sculpture at Regent Street Polytechnic 1946 and at the R.A. Schools 1947–52; worked as part-time assistant to Henry Moore 1951–3. From 1952 modelled single figure subjects in clay for bronze casting, but in 1959 began non-figurative sculpture in plaster which was later destroyed. Visited the U.S.A. on a Ford Foundation Travel Grant 1959. Since 1960 has worked on bolted and welded steel and aluminium sculptures. First one-man exhibition at the Galleria del Naviglio, Milan, 1956; his first in England at Gimpel Fils 1957. Awarded a Paris Biennale Sculpture Prize 1959. Exhibition of his non-figurative work at the Whitechapel Art Gallery 1963. Has taught at St Martin's School of Art since 1953, and at Bennington College, Vermont, 1963–4.
© Krystian Jarnuszkiewicz, all rights reserved